Can an electric bike pull a trailer?
Absolutely! Electric bikes are ideal for towing trailers. The assistance from the motor will allow you to go further and faster without noticing the extra weight - especially if you live in hilly areas.
Whether you're towing an child trailer or need extra capacity for carrying cargo or camping equipment. Many of these trailers are designed to be detached and used independently for running and even skiing, so it's worth doing research depending on your needs.
Electric bikes are so well placed for pulling trailers thanks to the additional torque provided by the motor. With pulling power of up to 90Nm, the motors massively reduce the
There's a few key types of trailer:
- Cargo - Flat beds trailers are great for moving items around the city, or taking supplies camping
- Kids - one and two seater trailers for children
- Pets - Smaller, lighter trailers for taking your pets on a day out! Dog Bike Trailers are common sights at parks up and down the country.
Other things to consider when browsing bike trailers are:
- Do you want adjustable handlebars?
- Do you need off road wheel size / tyres?
- What sort of cabin room for head and shoulder comfort is there?
There are several main brands of trailers, depending on your budget and needs.
Burley are exceptional quality and offer a lot of versatility with attachments and adjustments possible depending on need. They are well designed with plenty of comfort and room built in for the kids.
- Burley - A fantastic range of both cargo trailers and kids trailers
- Raleigh - A great budget option for 2 kids
If you're looking for a cargo trailer, it's also worth considering an electric cargo bike which may offer more stability and larger payloads.