What are the benefits to a Rear Wheel drive electric bike?
Stromer has been the innovator in quality, European made luxury electric bikes.
Many of their Speed Pedelecs come with a rear wheel motor, and with good reason.
A rear motor, compared to mid or front located motors offers the following benefits:
- Direct power at the hub - more efficient / no loss through chains etc
- No drive wear - chains, sprockets, cranks aren’t as involved meaning lower service costs
- Power delivery is direct giving better handling.
- Weight is more evenly distributed. Between drider, battery and motor, the bike is more balanced with safer handling and a more fun ride
- Torque is true at the wheel - there's no reduction through the drive chain or gear selection.
- Power is uninterrupted and smooth - with direct acceleration, smooth running and high elasticity.
- Silent running - less moving parts clanking about
- The Omni Platform app lets you set the riding dynamics directly
- Energy is recovered through regen braking at the rear wheel giving you up to 20% extra range
- This leads to gentler braking and longer brake life.
You can view all of our rear wheel drive bikes here.